What is the Accord?
We’ve done a lot in the short life of the Diversity Agenda, but we all need to do more to drive real behavioural change.
The Diversity Agenda Accord is the next step and a key tool to achieving this change, with the personal responsibility from CEs and business owners of Diversity Agenda members to be held publicly accountable for achieving truly diverse industries.
What does the Accord say?
Engineers and architects create the world around us.
Our work is behind every major human advancement since the beginning of time, and makes peoples’ lives better, healthier and more connected. We want engineers and architects to represent everyone, so the world they create is as diverse and inspiring as the people in it.
That’s why we’re committed to making our industries in New Zealand inclusive for all. Whether in the front line or a supporting role, everyone has the right to feel they belong – where they are safe, supported and valued. Anything less will not reflect the communities we support.
Diverse and inclusive professions working for a diverse and inclusive nation.
Leaders and decision-makers are leading the way.
- Awareness counts: we measure so we know how we are progressing.
- Behaviour matters: inclusion is at the centre of how we think, what we say and all we do.
- Courage catalyses: no one can be a bystander.
Our people influence our decisions and development.
- We create opportunities for our people to be involved in how we plan, design and take action.
- We actively seek our people’s input to shape what they need to belong.
- We implement changes that positively impact on all our people.
- We encourage creative and diverse thinking to help us and our industry embrace the changing world.
We expect fair and inclusive treatment for and from everyone, including all organisations we work with.
- We will close the gap on pay equity.
- We have zero tolerance for harassment and bullying, and will respond swiftly and appropriately to any allegation.
- We uncover and eliminate barriers to diversity and inclusion in our systems, practices and processes.
- We make sure our people feel safe in all places they work.
How does it work?
The Diversity Agenda Accord defines a clear set of tenets for firms to commit to, with the submission of a yearly report on how they have adhered to them together with the compulsory completion of a survey to back up the report with data.
We use a peer accountability model to make sure organisations are complying, and have the right to remove Accord status from firms who do not maintain the requirements they’ve signed up for.